Friday, April 24, 2009

What is a Marriage....what is a relationship.....

Everyone has their own ideas of marriage i'm sure. For me...it's being with my best friend.... who started out as my best friend, but through the years... really is the only person who i look forward to spending time with. i like hangin with friends, family, my kids and other couples...but...I long to spend my time with Kyle. I enjoy just being with him. I don't need to go out for dinner necessarily (it is a nice treat), in fact most of our dates, recently, have been driving to job sites and helping him clean up the concrete blankets or take down signs. Our relationship keeps changing...as most relationships should. We've had some really hard struggles and I have found that as time has gone on, these struggles are what takes our relationship to the next level. It has taken me 20 years to figure out that our arguments and differences are what allows us to grow in our relationship when we work through it and pray for each other. Being able to recognize certain things about yourself and taking ownership of them often helps. Things like "well I did say that...", "How would I feel if the tables were turned?", "Am I manipulating this situation.?", "Am I saying hurtful things because I'm feeling hurt and wounded?", "What am I REALLY upset about?", "I'm wrong...am I big enough to admit it and start moving forward...or am I going to be stubborn and continue to argue for the sake of being mad?", "What am I willing to give up or sacrifice for this person?" Marriage and relationships......these are just a few thoughts... I LOVE my husband.....he isn't perfect(and neither am I )...but..... he is perfect for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an extremely wonderful insight on relationships and marriage and a very honest post! I love it. I wish all my friends understand this concept of working together and struggling together. Well said!

Robyn Baird said...

Okay ... who really wrote this? ;) j/k ... That is very refreshing to hear and I agree totally!